High-calorie fruit smoothies for weight gain are not only delicious, but they also provide a healthy, easily digestible way to increase your caloric intake.
They’re easy to make and can be customized with a variety of fruits and additional ingredients to cater to your personal taste and nutritional needs.
Whether you’re new to making smoothies or looking for ways to modify your existing recipes to aid in weight gain, this guide and collection of recipes will help.
Table of Contents
The Science Behind Weight Gain
At its core, weight gain is a simple equation: consume more calories than your body burns. However, the sources of these calories matter. Protein, carbohydrates, and fats all play a critical role in gaining weight.
Proteins are the building blocks of our muscles, and consuming sufficient amounts is essential, especially if you’re engaging in strength training.
Carbohydrates provide the energy our body needs to function and carry out daily activities. Finally, fats play a crucial role in hormone production and can be a dense source of calories.
In the context of smoothies, fruits provide natural sugars (carbohydrates) and important micronutrients. When combined with other high-protein or high-fat ingredients, these smoothies can become a balanced addition to support healthy weight gain.
Best Fruits for Weight Gain Smoothies
When it comes to weight gain, not all fruits are created equal. Some fruits are higher in calories and nutrients than others, making them an ideal choice for weight gain smoothies.
- Bananas: Bananas are rich in carbohydrates and potassium. Their creamy texture also help enhances the smoothie’s consistency.
- Avocados: Avocados are a rich source of healthy fats and an array of vitamins including C, E, K, and B-6. They are calorie-dense and add a rich and creamy texture to your smoothie.
- Mangoes: A popular choice among high-calorie fruits, mangoes contribute significantly to the caloric content of your smoothie. They also come packed with essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, A, and potassium.
- Berries: Although berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are not as calorie-dense as other fruits on this list, they still make an excellent addition to smoothies due to their high antioxidant and vitamin content.
- Coconut: Coconuts are a great source of healthy fats and are calorically dense, making them beneficial for weight gain. The natural sweetness and creamy texture of coconut can also significantly enhance the richness of your smoothie.
Other Ingredients for Weight Gain Smoothies
While fruits are a great start, there are other ingredients that will give your weight gain smoothie an extra calorie boost.
- Nut Butters: Almond butter, cashew butter, and peanut butter are all good sources of healthy fats and protein. They can significantly increase the caloric density of your smoothie.
- Protein Powder: If you’re struggling to get enough protein in your diet, consider adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder to your smoothie. There are various types available, including whey, soy, casein and plant-based proteins.
- Yogurt: Full-fat Greek yogurt is a fantastic source of protein, calcium, and probiotics. It can help improve the texture of your smoothie.
- Seeds: Flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They’re a great addition to any smoothie as they are not overpowering.
- Oats: Oats are an excellent source of complex carbs and fiber. They also provide long-lasting energy when used in a pre-workout smoothie.
15 Fruit Smoothie Recipes for Weight Gain
1 – High-Calorie Fruit Smoothie
This is my go-to and favorite high-calorie fruit smoothie recipe. It uses a combination of mixed berries, coconut milk, apple juice and protein powder.
It contains 663 calories and 29 grams of protein while being rich in healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Plus, it tastes amazing!
2 – Weight Gainer Smoothie (Banana and Peanut Butter)
This is my favorite post-workout high-calorie smoothie, which uses a mixture of banana and peanut butter. It’s a delicious weight gainer smoothie that really plays on the classic banana and peanut butter flavor.
It contains 36 grams of protein which is more than enough for a heavy workout and 710 calories to help refuel my body post-training.
3 – Mango Protein Smoothie
This is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a topical fruit smoothie without a protein powder.
It uses a mixture of mango, coconut milk, greek yogurt and almond nut butter, giving you about 578 calories and 22 grams of protein per serving.
4 – Strawberry Banana Smoothie
This strawberry banana smoothie is packed with important nutrients like protein and fiber, which can help you achieve healthy weight gain.
Whether you have it with breakfast or as an energizing snack, it will keep you feeling satisfied and help you gain a calorie surplus.
5 – Vanilla Peach Smoothie
This delightful blend is prepared using creamy yogurt, frosty peaches, aromatic vanilla almond milk, and a punch of vanilla protein powder. If you’re a peach lover, this will be great for you!
6 – Banana and Peanut Butter Weight Gain Smoothie
This delightful weight-gain smoothie recipe only uses 4 ingredients and can be whipped up in a mere 2 minutes.
It’s packed with protein and carbohydrates, making it excellent for recovery post-workout.
7 – Very Berry Protein Smoothie
This very berry protein smoothie is brimming with four different fruits and greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
It’s refreshing and a great way to add vitamins and antioxidants to your diet.
8 – Coconut Milk Banana Smoothie
This is a super simple smoothie using just 3 ingredients, coconut milk, banana and flax seeds.
It’s rich in healthy fats and electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium and phosphorous.
9 – Blueberry Banana Coconut Smoothie
This blueberry banana coconut smoothie is super refreshing.
It uses a mixture of coconut milk, bananas, blueberries, almond butter and yogurt blended together to make a flavorful protein-packed high-calorie fruit smoothie!
10 – 3 Ingredient Healthy Pina Colada Smoothie
This 3 Ingredient virgin pina colada smoothie combines frozen pineapple, banana, coconut milk and ice until creamy!
This non-alcoholic virgin frozen pina colada makes for a healthy smoothie treat.
11 – Cherry Chocolate Protein Smoothie
If you love cherry and chocolate, this smoothie will be for you. It doesn’t just taste great but is packed with 27 grams of protein per serving.
To make this even more calorie dense, use high-calorie milk like whole milk or coconut milk.
12 – Power Protein Green Smoothie
This green high-calorie smoothie is extremely calorie dense, using a variety of high-calorie fruits like avocado, banana, mango and coconut milk.
To make it more balanced, it also uses a scoop of protein powder giving you a balanced range of healthy fats, protein and carbs.
13 – Avocado and Matcha Protein Shake
If you have some unused match lying around, this avocado and spinach smoothie is a hit. It contains 569 calories and 30 grams of protein per serving!
14 – Triple Berry Smoothie Recipe
This mixed berry smoothie uses natural ingredients and sweeteners. Made with fresh or frozen berries, bananas, and yogurt for a delicious combination of flavors.
It’s high in probiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, carbs and protein.
15 – High-Calorie Avocado Smoothie
Rich and creamy banana avocado smoothie with spinach, blueberries and protein powder is packed with nutrients. It’s easy to make and fits a whole array of diets.
Importance of Healthy Weight Gain
Healthy weight gain involves more than just increasing your caloric intake. The quality of the food you eat is just as important, if not more so.
Your goal should be to gain weight in a manner that enhances your health, not compromises it.
That’s where fruit smoothies come into the picture. They are a delicious and nutritious way to add extra calories to your diet.
Moreover, they are easily customizable, allowing you to incorporate various nutrient-rich ingredients that support weight gain and overall health.
Remember, the goal is not just to gain weight but to nourish your body with essential vitamins, minerals, proteins, and healthy fats. This is important for your overall well-being and energy levels.
Tips for Consuming Smoothies for Weight Gain
Making and consuming smoothies can be a fun and effective strategy for weight gain. Here are some tips to maximize their effectiveness:
- Use Full-Fat Products: When adding dairy or plant-based alternatives, opt for full-fat versions to boost the caloric content.
- Post-Workout Smoothies: Consuming your smoothie after workouts can be beneficial. Your body is in recovery mode and can use the nutrients more efficiently, promoting muscle growth and recovery.
- Smoothies as Supplements: Smoothies should not replace your meals but be consumed in addition to your regular diet. They are a great way to supplement your calorie intake.
- Get Creative: Mix and match different fruits, nut butters, seeds, and other high-calorie ingredients to keep things interesting and cater to your taste preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I gain weight by just drinking fruit smoothies?
While smoothies can contribute to weight gain, they should not be the sole strategy. It’s essential to maintain a balanced diet and regular exercise routine.
How many smoothies should I drink a day to gain weight?
This depends on your individual caloric needs. Start with one smoothie a day or every second day as an addition to your meals, then adjust based on your progress and nutritional needs.
Are homemade smoothies better than store-bought ones for weight gain?
Typically, yes. Homemade smoothies allow you to control the ingredients and their quantities, making it easier to tailor the nutritional profile to your needs.
Store-bought smoothies can often contain added refined sugars or preservatives, which don’t tend to align with healthy weight gain.
What’s the best time of day to drink high-calorie fruit smoothies?
There’s not a definitive best time, as it largely depends on your lifestyle and routine. However, having a smoothie after your workout is great time as your body is primed to absorb nutrients for muscle repair and growth.
Gaining weight in a healthy way is just as important as losing weight, and fruit smoothies can be an excellent tool in your weight gain journey.
By combining high-calorie fruits with other nutrient-rich ingredients, you can create delicious, balanced smoothies that can help you reach your weight gain goals.
Remember to consume these smoothies in addition to your regular meals, opt for full-fat products, and enjoy your smoothies post-workout to maximize nutrient absorption. Happy blending!